Post 16 Information

Post 16 Transitions

Please refer to Suffolk Infolink SEND 16+ Transitions website which states: 

“All children and young people deserve a bright future – to belong, achieve, contribute, stay safe and be healthy.

The teenage years are a time of change and exploration as they begin the start of their journey towards greater independence and adulthood.

For children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities, starting early to plan and prepare for this transition into adulthood will build their confidence and help make this period in their lives a positive experience.

This guide is for parents/carers of children and young people on SEND (Special Educational Need and/or Disability) support or who have an EHCP (Education, Health & Care Plan). Suffolk County Council has produced this guide in collaboration with parents, carers, and providers of education and health services. We have also talked to families who have been through this experience themselves to ensure that advice is as useful as possible.

As parents and carers you know the needs and aspirations of your children and will play a large part in shaping their future. We hope that this information will help to guide you as together you will make some of the most important decisions of their lives.”

For further information please also refer to their Post 16 Transitions Guide.


Post 16 Financial Support: 16-19 Bursary Funding

Students aged 16 to 19 may be entitled to a bursary to help with essential education-related costs. 

The 16 to 19 Bursary Fund provides financial support to help students overcome the specific financial barriers to participation they face so they can remain in education.

There are 2 types of 16 to 19 Bursaries:

  • a Vulnerable Bursary (of up to £1,200 a year) for students in defined vulnerable groups. The defined vulnerable groups are students who are:
      • in care
      • care leavers
      • receiving Income Support (IS), or Universal Credit (UC) because they are financially supporting themselves or financially supporting themselves and someone who is dependent on them and living with them such as a child or partner
      • receiving Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payments (PIP) in their own right as well as Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or UC in their own right
  • Discretionary Bursaries, that institutions can award to meet individual students’ needs. For example to pay for things like school transport, school uniform, essential books and other equipment for the student’s course. Students needs to meet certain criteria to be entitled, please see the application form for details.

Hillside follows the Education Skills and Funding Agency (ESFA) good practice guidelines and the support is awarded in kind (for example, school pays the transport invoice and for school meals) rather than a payment being made by cash/cheque/BACS. 

Please see the Education Skills and Funding Agency website for further details of the 16-19 Bursary Fund.

To see if your child is entitled and to apply for the funding:

  • if your child will be staying at Hillside beyond Year 11, please contact the school office and we will send you a 16-19 Bursary Application Form. Completed applications forms must then be sent to the school, along with all appropriate evidence.
  • if your child will be attending a different education setting from Year 12, you will need to contact the other setting for details of how to apply, as each institution has their own application process.